Friday, August 5, 2011

Play date

We hosted a play date today. And I have no pictures. Not really a surprise. I wish I did. But the play date was in my eyes a failure. Until I thought about it tonight.

Why was it a failure you ask?

I had to reschedule it from the previous week because I hadn't been feeling well. And I hate when the schedule suddenly changes (even though it constantly does).

My house wasn't clean. Turns out, other mom's don't like to host because they are worried about not having a clean enough house. Also, we all have toddlers. The toys aren't likely to all be put away at 3 in the afternoon. If they are, there might be a bigger issue.

I couldn't find paper place mats. I know what you are thinking...why would you need place mats for toddlers. We were supposed to color the place mats for Meals of Wheels. I did find them at Hobby Lobby, yesterday. And you know what...I think the people who receive them will be thrilled. They are covered in stickers and pretty colors.

Zoe was asleep when everyone arrived. "Hi, my name is Elizabeth and my kid is sleeping." Oh this is your kid, sorry there isn't anyone for him to play with yet. More kids showed up and Zoe did eventually join us. And they all had a good time.

When thinking about it now, I realized that no one really cares if my house is spotless. They actually feel better when it isn't. The kids could careless what they color on (Zoe has on the occasion taken up wall murals). Mom's just want something for their kids to enjoy. The kids learned about making something for others (and sharing toys/crayons). And Meals on Wheels will have colorful place mats to go with some of the meals. The play date was a success.

We plan to host many more in the future. Although, I am sure I will panic about the craft, the state of my house, and snack all over again. (if you live in the Upstate and want to come to a play date, let me know...we coordinate through a Meetup group for AP, but we are always glad to have friends tag along)

1 comment:

  1. True words! Other moms don't care if you have toys all over your living room floor! :-)

    ReplyDelete