Friday, July 22, 2011

What is faith?

What is Faith? - SermonAudio link


Would you be willing to trade an easy, comfortable life for a hard, useful one?

That was one of the discussion questions this week for small group. I was at work. But missing out on the discussion with some of my favorite people (and I'm sure an amazing meal...I got the text describing the meal). Both of us working in the evening is necessary, but there are so many nights I long for fellowship with the body.

Back to the question. Tangents at the beginning just get my brain working...and sometimes let me avoid talking about the issue at hand. And this issue is two-fold and can be coupled with another question I have been struggling with.

First - Would I be willing to trade an easy, comfortable life for a hard, useful one? It isn't as easy as making a choice. If it was, I think most Christians, myself included would choose the comfortable life. Not that I want to spiritually, but choosing something hard over something comfortable just because...well it isn't exactly in my DNA. But in God's divine plan, the choice is not always ours to make. No one chooses for certain things to happen in their life.

I have been sitting at my computer tonight catching up on a list of blogs that I read. Most have been sent to me, friends I have met over the years, or posted on Facebook by friends asking for prayers. These are just a few of many.

This is what I have to tell you. My life is not hard. There have been moments when it seemed hard. There have been things other people would deem difficult. But when looking at the needs of others...well, my needs, my difficult circumstances, pale in comparison.

A 1-year-old from our playgroup


A 6-year old boy


Briar and Brooke


I share these stories so that you too can pray for these families. I know they would appreciate your prayers.


Someone once told me that we may never know why God allowed something to happen. But that maybe I could use the experience I have had to reach out to someone in a similar situation. Explain to someone else that God did not forget about them. That God loves them.


At the time, it was a difficult reality to grasp (and honestly, it still is some days). I wanted to change the past/present. I wanted things to work out differently. The fear of the future and how all the pieces fit back together. I wanted more than anything to at least know why. It has taken me years to realize that I could work on the puzzle of things in my own life forever and not have even begun. I have to leave that to God.


Moms compare everything: pregnancies, kids, life experiences, struggles. It isn't about comparing faith. It is about growing that faith every day. It is about holding hands with your sister in Christ and praying for her. It is about getting down on my knees and crying because humanly speaking I can't handle "this" alone. It doesn't matter what "this" is. The good news is that God didn't ask me to handle any part of life on my own. Life was meant to be lived in Him.

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego went into the fire knowing they could die. It was certainly hot enough. Their faith allowed them to say that regardless of the outcome, they believed that God is faithful and good. They could have died that day.

Many Christians have not been rescued from their difficult circumstances.


So here is to living by faith, every day. Not living in fear/disappointment of the past or fear of the future. Choosing to live present by faith in the hands of God. Not always the easiest spot or the most comfortable. But He will comfort and He will give strength. And He promises what He gives will always be enough.

God has never ceased to be good.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the question was a little.... I think that we can't choose...we surrender to God's working, letting Him choose. Everyday there must be surrender and trust that He is good! When we feel His hand of blessing (in the easy times), and we are joyful ~ or when we feel His hand of blessing (in the hard times), and we experience pain. I will choose what God chooses for me...there is a great song (Submission) that says this..."Not what I wish to be, nor where I wish to go~for who am I that I should choose my way? The Lord shall choose for me! 'Tis better far I know ~ so let Him bid me go ~ or stay!" I cannot choose ( or if given the opportunity, probably not wisely) so I will surrender to what He brings in to my life. "And He promises what He gives will always be enough"....I like that!

    ReplyDelete